GX8 with Panasonic Leica 50-200 - how does it handle?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Javaka New Member • Posts: 21
GX8 with Panasonic Leica 50-200 - how does it handle?

Hello all,

I'm currently a Pentax user and want to downsize both the quantity and weight of my gear (K-5 body plus 15, 21, 35, 43, 77 Limited lenses, F 100 macro and Sigmas 17-50, 50-150 and 70-200 2.8s). I also want an EVF.

I was initially considering the OM-D EM-1 with PanaLeica 12-60 and 50-200. I know Olympus a little as I have a Stylus 1, which is a great camera. But the EM-1 Mark I is a bit old and the menu system/ customisation options sound overwhelming. Still, I'm not ruling it out. The newer Mark II is a bit pricey in combination with new lenses as well.

The Panasonic G9 looks similar to my Pentax body (I like the direct buttons for ISO etc), but it's also basically the same size/ volume, not much lighter and also pricey. The other G and GH series cameras don't appeal (I mean the ones that look like DSLRs - still trying to figure out the Panasonic naming system). I'm not bothered about video.

Now I've discovered the GX8. This looks pretty good on paper - definitely smaller and lighter than the K-5 - and the rangefinder style would be new to me and could be fun, plus 20MP, and quite cheap second-hand (about the same as an EM-1.1 from what I've seen so far, in the Netherlands).

But, I do wonder how the GX8 works with bigger lenses like the 50-200? Does it balance comfortably and is the grip big enough to be comfortable? Or is it really only/ best suited to primes? I assume the 12-60 and (thinking ahead) the 8-18 combine well with it.

I realise it's all personal, but insights from people who use this combination would be really appreciated. I have tried searching here and Google but haven't found much about this particular combination.

Cheers,

Alastair

Javaka's gear list:Javaka's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow