A hunt for a new lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doom Scythe Regular Member • Posts: 275
A hunt for a new lens

Thought of sharing some good news for mFT.

So my dad finally made his decision and joined the mFT bandwagon by getting himself a new and shiny Olympus E-M1 Mark II with a Olympus 12-100mm f4.

He was a Nikon D7200 shooter (long time Nikon user) and faster noticing that he rarely brings out his camera in recent years, I urged him to consider switching since it is clear that weight is deterring him from bringing the gear out at all. Unlike me who brings my camera every single trip abroad, he usually skips bringing his camera, preferring to shoot with his Note 9 (awesome camera by the way) instead.

Ironically, he was the one who advised me to go with E-PL7 when I wanted to buy my first camera to document my travels. I remembered his words back in 2015 so clearly, even till today, where he told me that if I purchased a DSLR, it will just collect dust on the shelves as it is impractically heavy and bulky. But he was slow in getting rid of his heavy gears. 😁

So now that join the mFT camp, the existing moderate wide angle Olympus 17mm f1.8 which had been on 'loan' from him for a good 3 years will need to be returned to him. I had return the Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 II to him a few days ago, but that affects me little as I seldom used that lens. He have graciously extended the loan period for the 17mm f1.8 for 1 more week, after which I will be devoid of a moderate wide angle.

I have always operated mostly on a bag of primes. I have the Olympus 17mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8, the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 and Sigma 56mm f1.4.  I also have the Olympus 9-18mm for my UWA shots. Most of my shots have been on travel (landscape, environmental portraits, selfies, street), indoor corporate events, indoor portraits of my baby, indoor family events, day time family environmental portraits, day street  and random night shots.

Now that I have to return my 17mm, I have been thinking about a replacement. It crossed my mind that now may be a good chance to get a 12-40mm f2.8 where I can get the flexibility of a zoom. I will be losing out on the extra 1.3 stops of light, but will be gaining zoom capabilities.

There have been times where I feel I missed some opportunitic shots due to lack of ability to zoom, but I was am also aware that my current primes allow me to get some shots which would have been otherwise difficult in low light conditions.

Anyone here who has converted from primarily a prime shooter to a zoom shooter, or vice versa? What are your thoughts on this?

Doom Scythe's gear list:Doom Scythe's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Nikon D7200 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung Galaxy Note9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow