Fast prime for night street scenes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
steviewonder20 Forum Member • Posts: 95
Fast prime for night street scenes

After following this forum for a few months and reading a number of reviews, I purchased the a7R iii and the 24-105 G in November when they were on sale. I plan to buy the 16-35 f/4 for landscapes (the 2.8 is too heavy and I shoot landscapes stopped down to f8-f/11).

For some trips, like the Faroe Islands later this year, I will bring a 70-200 f/4 for compressing landscapes and isolating details.

The need that I perceive, is for a fast prime to use at night (and sometimes indoors). I am interested in street scenes and the lens needs to have fast AF in low light and good IQ as I often print for competitions and juried shows. I would like it to be faster than f/2.8.

Searching this forum and google turns up the usual suspects, each with advantages and disadvantages: Sony 24 mm GM, Zeiss Batis 25 or 40 f/2, Sony 55 mm f/1.8, Sony Distagon 35 mm f/1.4 and the Sigma Art 35 mm f/1.2.

The Sigma (over 2 lbs.) and the Sony Distagon (1.4 lbs.) are both quite heavy for a 35 mm lens. The Sony 55 mm is reportedly very sharp but probably too tight for my needs. People here have complained about Batis lenses being too plasticky. The Sony 24 mm GM sounds (almost) perfect, but I usually shoot not quite so wide for street scenes (35 mm). I know I can crop more now with 42 mp and FF and am leaning toward getting the GM.

My question is, can someone post images taken with the 24 mm GM that were hand-held of night scenes (not astro) and any comments on these or other choices. Thanks in advance.

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow