Nature photography setup

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
StefanWeir New Member • Posts: 1
Nature photography setup

Hello there,

I'd like to request assistance from veterans in the field, as I am looking to upgrade my current setup.
As it stands, I shoot wildlife, insects and birds most commonly, but also reptiles, mammals and even the occasional human. I do like to shoot birds in flight.
My current gear is a canon 70D, a canon 100-400L Mk2 and a canon 100L 2.8 macro.

I find the results of my macro photography fairly acceptable for larger subjects, I may get the mp-e 65mm, but I'm currently mostly looking for better gear for bigger wildlife and flying birds, for this I presumably need a body with somewhat better AF, and either a longer lens or a lens more usable with a TC.

I have been considering the 400mm 2.8 with a TC or the 600mm F4. I like to go handheld or with a monopod if possible, my line of thinking was that a cropped frame makes this easier to achieve, as there is slightly less need for the longer focal lengths. I am aware the lenses I mention are heavier than the 100-400 zoom.
I am a little dismayed by the choice in available canon cropped frame bodies, as the 7D mkii is getting on in years, 90D's AF getting mixed reviews and pro level APS-Cs seem to be in general decline. In comparison, the Nikon D500 looks good, and those mirrorless oddities seem to get better every week, animal eyetracking sounds promising.

Excuse the lack of brevity, cheers in advance!

StefanWeir's gear list:StefanWeir's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow