CPL vs Linear -- which for maximum effect?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,805
CPL vs Linear -- which for maximum effect?

In days of film (circa 1970) the (linear) polarizers I used gave very satisfying results eliminating reflections and in giving the sky a noticeably deeper blue. I recently purchased a B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular
Polarizer MRC-Nano ($90.00) so not a cheap low-quality filter by any estimation but the result is very unsatisfying to say the least and the difference between with and without is unnoticeable unless it is pointed out to the viewer.

I use only mirrorless cameras and in particular for this experiment a Sony A7 III with 24-105mm f/4 lens.

From what I have read in several places on the 'net CPLs are for SLRs and are not needed for mirrorless cameras.

So here's my question:  Will a linear polarizer really produce better results?

If not, I wonder what in the world has happened in the filter industry that polarizers fail so miserably today when they worked so well 50 years ago.

As you can see above, the effect is almost nil.

(I need no instruction on how to use a polarizer, how to align the lens axis in relation to the light source or how to position the rotation of the polarizer.)

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow