Need a macro lens for insects

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
garbagio New Member • Posts: 3
Need a macro lens for insects

I have a Nikon D7500 and want to get a macro lens for my daughter who wants to get into insect photography.  She currently uses her iPhone with a clip-on lens but is ready for better quality pictures.  She has no trouble getting up close to most bugs but sometimes wishes she could get better dragonfly pictures because they tend to move around a lot.

I’ve read a lot of different reviews but still have questions.  I don’t want to spend a lot of money for something that’s overkill for what I need.  Is image stabilization important?  Most of her shooting will be hand held.  From what I’ve gathered, a focal length of around 100mm seems like a good idea and there are a bunch of lenses in that range from Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma, as well as Nikkor.  If IS isn’t important, I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Tokina 100mm ATX Pro (and it’s cheap).

What are your recommendations?  Thanks in advance.

Nikon D750 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow