Putting the 90D through its paces

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Putting the 90D through its paces

Hello all.

I shot a long weekend of soccer with the 90D and 100-400 II.  During the course of the weekend I shot well over 3000 images in a variety of lighting conditions and at all times of day.  I have heard much discussion regarding the 90D's autofocus performance and all I can say is that it performed quite well with a hit rate well above 90%.

I usually shoot sports with a 5D IV, 100-400 II, 300 2.8, and 1.4x. Yes, the autofocus on the 5D IV is better in both its accuracy, speed of aquisition, and overall sensitivity. OTOH, it should be because it costs alot more money...

I feel the biggest difference is the ability of the 5D IV to minutely adjust focus BETWEEN shots.  The 90D locks focus just as quickly and tracks well with iTR but it does demonstrate some slightly OOF shots between frames especially in a long burst although the focus does eventually catch up after a dropped frame.

For its price point I think the 90D's combination of image quality, speed, fps, autofocus performance, and video capability is a steal. My only real gripe was that I thought the build quality felt a bit cheap. Functionally it was just fine even with the 100-400 II it just didnt inspire confidence in hand the way my 5D IV does.

Here are some examples from the weekend:

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow