Using manual flash mode on the Canon Speedlite 430EXII

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spytrek007
spytrek007 Regular Member • Posts: 202
Using manual flash mode on the Canon Speedlite 430EXII

I have been doing photography for a number of years now but i am still not an expert in flash photography. I have started to feel it is better to use manual flash instead of TTL flash. But here is the issue, sometimes when using flash either mode, the flash does not fire or light up the subject when shooting portraits. I feel this is annoying. I have no understanding why this happens. I am using the Canon Speedlite 430EXII model with the Canon 5D Mark III. The other issue is when using flash and shooting at wider apertures such as f/1.8 and fast shutter speeds, the image is out of focus or blurred. This is when I check my photos in lightroom. I always focus on the eyes and shoot. It is that bad that 80% of pics using flash are blurred.

Lets say I am using the following settings. Shutter is 1/125 sec, aperture is f/1.8, focal length 50mm. I take a pic without the flash and pic is slightly underexposed. Now I start up my flash and take the photo at same settings but now pic will be overexposed as I had used the flash at full power. So now I can reduce flash intensity manual by lets say 5 full stops to 1/32 of flash power, do I then adjust the shutter by 5 stops to 1/4000 sec to get a proper exposure or shutter settings the same? I mean sometimes I have observed that only adjust the flash intensity and nothing else gives proper exposure.

spytrek007's gear list:spytrek007's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow