GH5 vs a6600 (Seeking some shopping advice!)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WalterKThe4th New Member • Posts: 1
GH5 vs a6600 (Seeking some shopping advice!)

Hi there, first time poster here. I'm starting to look around for a camera. I did a lot of photography work and have a background in video production, but I've not kept up with the modern camera offerings, and seeing that I now work in audio production, I'm not totally familiar with all of the stuff that's popular today. I'm looking for something that is a good camera for video and photography work and is the closest to a jack-of-all-trades as possible - preferably mirrorless. I've been looking at the Panasonic GH5 and Sony a6600, as they seem to be good choices that satisfy a lot of what I'm looking for.

The GH5 is great primarily for the 4K60 and 1080@180 capabilities. I've also seen that many people praise its IBIS system for more stable handheld video. At a lesser importance to me, I also like the larger, subjectively better screen that is capable of flipping out to the side. Same with the USB-C port, dual SD slots, and better handling of rolling shutter.

The a6600 is great due to its larger sensor, leading to better low light and sharper 4K imaging due to the downsampled video. I've also heard great things about the AF on the a6600. At a lesser importance, a6600 also allows power to be supplied by the USB port, and it's smaller and lighter.

I would say the most important features to me are 4K60, low light performance, and quality AF. Is the AF on the GH5 really as bad as everyone says it is or is it passable for most cases? How about the low light on the GH5? I know the a6600 is praised for low light performance, is there a big gap between it and the GH5? Do you think the 4K60 is worth the (questionable) downgrade in AF and low light performance? One application I see me using this camera to actually make me some money instead of just playing with it as a hobby would be to take and publish some video of events I run sound for. These sometimes do not take place in areas with the best lighting and require good AF with subjects moving around a lot.

How about lens selection? Is the Sony E-mount or the M4/3 a better choice as far as lens variety goes? How about cost of entry in those lens mount systems? Is it cheaper to get a decent collection going in one mount vs the other? How about for photography? I know more about the video side of things, does either camera take the cake from a photography perspective?

Also, are there any other cameras that may better fit my needs? I'm more than happy to go with something else if you guys think of anything. I appreciate any insight or advice you may have! Thanks in advance!

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow