Z6 sensor resolution for telephoto use

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 266
Z6 sensor resolution for telephoto use

Hello folks,

So I was reading the lenstip review of the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.  It said that at 600mm, the lens has a resolution of about 30 line pairs per mm.  Well each line pair is supposed to be a dark stripe and light stripe, so effectively 60 points per mm.  But wait, the Z6 sensor has 169 pixels per mm, so almost 3x better.  My questions are:

Does that mean that if you have a well-defined black object against a white background, the blur radius (or half-intensity fall-off) will be about 3 pixels worth?

What is even the point of using this lens with a Z7 or DX camera if that extra pixel density isn't going to do any good?  (The blur will be spread over more pixels now)

IF the blur radius is more than a few pixels, doesn't that mean that using a teleconverter isn't going to do any good over just cropping?  (I know that this point must be wrong somehow because I have seen reviews, and experienced it myself, where a TC will give an actual slight bump in resolving power.

And finally, if the Sigma 60-600mm tested out at 40 lp/mm, does that mean that pictures are literally 33% sharper and that you can crop in that much more?

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +13 more
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow