Body upgrade for low light dance

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bryan4242 New Member • Posts: 10
Body upgrade for low light dance

Current equipment: Canon Rebel XSI and two primes: Canon EF 50/1.4 and Canon 35/2.0

TLDR: I'm trying to pick which body would be the best upgrade at a reasonable price and some great people from the Sports and Action Photography forum recommended checking here.

I'm shooting mostly indoor dance events as a hobby and would like to also do some video. At one event, I used the 50/1.4 exclusively and Rebel body struggled to keep focus with the dim colored lights. The only mode that worked was shutter priority locked at 1600 ISO. Maybe 20% of the photos were blurry and others worked but were grainy.

Based on the events, many are recommending a full frame body for better low light performance as well as high fps and good low light focusing capability.  Some recommended are a 5D mark iii, 5D mark iv, a 7Dii and 1DX.  It also sounds like once I get an upgraded body a 70-200 zoom will be on my wish list.

As a hobby I'd like to keep costs under $2500. If something under $1000 is reasonable, that would let me look at the 70-200 zoom sooner. At the same time, I want to get something that will perform well with low light and fairly fast dance.

What Canon bodies would you recommend considering?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow