AF support expectation for Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 AF II SD EF to M43?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Jeeter001 Regular Member • Posts: 103
AF support expectation for Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 AF II SD EF to M43?

I'm looking at an EF version of the Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 AF II SD online.  I have only adapted completely manual Canon FD lens to my Pan G85.  I have no experience adapting AF lenses nor have ever used a legacy AF lens.  I have been google searching EF to M43 AF adapters and it looks like this area of electronics is blossoming with new products, anyone have a link to a comprehensive database/list of these kind of adapters?  I feel like I'm going to miss some brands.

I've checked the websites for a few adapter manufacturers already including Metabones (which I may steer from due to cost), Vitrox, and Fotasy and none of them list this lens.  I don't think it is a popular lens as I can't find any product information on it and hardly any reviews.  My guess is I won't find it in any "tested/approved list" by a manufacturer nor a user.  Given that, what should my expectation be?  Eg. AF usually works, sometimes work, don't bet on it ...

I also question buying a motorized piece of electronics that old.  If AF does not work, due to breaking at some later date or it doesn't work because the M43 adapter doesn't work with it, what should my usability expectation be for an AF lens?  These lenses have a manual focus ring but they don't appear to have a manual aperture ring.  Are there any compatibility issues with aperture control with these adapters?

I'm trying to understand possible failure modes in uncharted territory.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow