X100V specs to stay competitive: aiming up also re price the way??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,219
X100V specs to stay competitive: aiming up also re price the way??

Originally I had thought that if I could get one of those X100 - somewhat legendary (read: popular design) - cameras I would get it and see how I would go.

I then bought the X100F in 2017 and ... never warmed to it. I thought the lens was inferior to other lenses from the Fuji "stable" and certainly simply not good(IQ wise) or fast enough in both AF and F-Stop. Just small.

X100F F2.0. Separation not great, in fact on my 30" the bokeh looks very nervous

Took some images at close(-ish) distance. Very arty, but not great - unless you are after this look

I sold the X100F shortly after I bought it and at the time was puzzled as to what people actually saw in that camera. Medium distances I found were rendered ok but nothing special. Solid-ok, but meh at the same time.

Here is another one taken at F2:

X100F F2: Please view on a reasonably large screen. Looks ok on an iPhone, but not so much on a 22"+

As a "yeah, I am a spoilt brat" comparison, here is an RX1RII file, reduced to 6000x4000, but the full 43Mpx is equally fine. Stunning even.

Taken at F5.6 I find the bokeh less "busy" but what do I know??

Taken at F2.8 - close enough to the max F2 on APS-C.

Since I like the handling of the Fujis much better I would like to have the following specifications - if possible.

• A faster lens in terms of speed: F1.4 to play in the same ballpark as the Leica Q2 (which has an equivalent of F2 at the built-in 35mm crop!) and the RX1.
  • A faster lens to focus. Like the 50/2 currently my fastest Fuji lens.
  • IBIS - like the Q2
  • WR - like the Q2
  • Add US$ 500.00 if you must but aim for quality (controversial, controversial, but I would be in the market for one of those!!!)
  • Swivel screen - like the RX1RII. BOTH those images of Eski were taken from below sea level

The RX1s are MUCH more expensive, but use the same 35mm and are also P&S if you like.

The dog's name is Eski, a Siberian Husky/German Sheperd cross. 10 weeks old at the time of those shots.

My opinion here might be utterly pointless, but I think that Fuji should look up rather than down or plateauing around the same old, same old 23/2 and add some other stuff. If Fuji uses the same lens I wouldn't even want to give this one a try ...

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +6 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow