Travenar/90 ~ Orestor/100 ~Topcor/100

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 3,745
Travenar/90 ~ Orestor/100 ~Topcor/100

I am finding testing lenses, even informally, I extremely nuanced. From WB, processing, focusing (0.05mm make difference), comntrol movement even with remote release, illumation, angle (tiny angle makes lots of difference), plane (slight uneveness), etc.

It's so damn hard. One another note though, it is obvious, at least in the center area, old 90mm to 105mm good lens designs and good copies of those lenses are way ahead of a 24MP. Literally, at f4 / 85 lp / mm contrast may easily be around or above 50%.

Travenar

Orestor

Topcor

To test anything in a meaningful way, I understand why it costs a lot more, and many equipment may easily run to $100K plus very specialized skills even if a lot more can now be automated.

I take the shots with a grain of salt due to the original slight different cast which could be thin clouds mixed with lens cast, and also it was very difficult to focus (ie. exactly where). I think I read a great article by Jim Kasson where he shows visually how lenses peak focus at tiny different FLs per color band, so even what is perfect focus isn't even absolute. It depends on each scene's colors in the details, or even parts of the scene.

All three seem superb in the center. I guess it will be easier to test with a 61MP only because after many test shots, selecting the sharpest will hopefully show which one has contrast really dropping at 140 lp / mm.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow