D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SushiEater
SushiEater Forum Pro • Posts: 10,503
Re: D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

JMD-70 wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds! Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

I use the D7200/D750 connected directly to a laptop using the build-in WiFi of the cameras and AirNef on the laptop to receive the image files.

I typically transfer small jpegs for my clients to see while the RAW files remain on the card. But I tried some NEFs just now and i clocked a 24.3MB file transferred in 10.3 seconds from a distance of about 5 meters, or 2.36 MB/s. Your transmitter transfers a 20MB(?) file in 6 seconds or 3.33 MB/s. Not really impressed by the speed boost of the $1000 transmitter. That said, if you need it you need it.

Read this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60027470

Thank you,...however, I'm very much aware of other DSLR wireless capture work-arounds, but those aren't as robust as the dedicated Nikon WT-** transmitters.

What makes you think so?

Plus, having to deal with the extra cables (USB/Ethernet),...this piece,...that piece,..charging for this item,...velcro this to that, etc. I'd much rather have a Nikon Wireless Transmitter,...of which, I have since the D2X (WT-2),...D700/D3/D3s (WT-4), and D500/D850 (WT-7).

My way is twice as fast as yours so dealing with few cables is not that big of the deal.

The thing is if you take hundreds of photos at 12fps your camera will continue to transmit even after you stopped shooting. I know this for a fact watching others even who shoot JPGs.

Not to mention I pocketed $600 at the same time.

Also, I tried AirNEF,..and while it works,...it has no hold time,...you have to re-engage the process once all images have been transmitted,..at least that how it worked for me. In addition,...the camera creates a "WiFi AP",..which means, if you only have one Wireless adapters on your PC,...you won't have internet access while connected to the camera! Plus,...and this is major! The transmit distance is very short using AirNEF and the camera's WiFi,...and also EyeFi Cards. The Nikon units have no problem transmitting an image from camera to PC while inside a Large Ballroom,...and amongst the hundreds of Cellphones in the area.

But thank you all-the-same!

I have done the same at the convention with hundreds of cell phones (thus 902ac not the previous version) without a problem. That is exactly why I chose this system in the first place.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow