Another Travel Camera Question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LissieBH New Member • Posts: 14
Another Travel Camera Question

Hi everyone, new poster here. I'm traveling to UK and Ireland in a couple of months with the family and I'm contemplating a new camera. I've got more than I need, for sure, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a "perfect" camera out there (I know, I know, probably not). )

I'm looking for something that will be versatile, as we'll be doing the Harry Potter studio tour (so low light) but also a walking tour on the coast of Ireland (so landscapes but maybe rainy). I'd consider myself a hobbyist level, who'd like decent quality pictures to post on-line, maybe make some small prints or a photobook, but nothing bigger than 8x10.

Why am I not bringing one of the many cameras I own? I'm not thrilled with my AW1, as the lens has always had this issue of fogging up from the inside (and would even consider selling the body to help fund this). I'm nervous to bring my D5500 and also it's definitely bulkier (though I have a backpack with a camera compartment). I think my husband has laid claim to the X-E1.

So, it doesn't have to be a pocket camera, but smaller is nice. Any advice on how much zoom I really need would be useful. I'm open to a bridge camera (have had a canon in the past), or a point and shoot (have had several Lumix which all died weird deaths). I will admit, I'm shallow enough that I absolutely love the vintage look (I still have my old Pentax K1000 that I started shooting with 35 years ago). I think a system with multiple lenses will probably not really end up getting used (and I'm not technically that good to really make use of something super high end). I'm not wedded to any brand, just want good quality images.

Budget is around $500 but could be stretched for something amazing.

Apologies for another travel camera question, I read a ton of the archives but didn't quite see what I was looking for. Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

LissieBH's gear list:LissieBH's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow