G9, firmware 2, small object AF

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
G9, firmware 2, small object AF

There is a long G9 AF thread but the topics are so random that I think a thread dedicated to just this problem would be helpful to many of us. So please folks, keep responses to the subject of this thread and start new threads for related but different topics such as comparing the G9 to the OMD EM1 MK2 or speculation about a potential G10.

Prior to firmware 2, AF on small objects such as small birds or flowers with long lenses such as the 100-400 had a poor keeper rate.

For the flower problem, I would simply use focus bracketing and choose the one with my preferred focus point or stack them in Photoshop to get the whole flower in focus so I don't consider this to be a particular problem unless it hunts so much that it can't obtain any focus point. I'd be using the 100-400 for most flower shooting in SAF with a single focus point, handheld. Would also be using the Olympus 12-100.

But the small animal problem often doesn't lend itself to this solution, they are usually moving around quickly. It is possible that the speed of focus bracketing might work here as well.

Since the recent firmware update offers animal AF, does this help with small animals such as small song birds or hummingbirds or is it directed towards larger creatures?

Other Panasonic cameras with DFD that I've used had problems with precise AF on large fuzzy creatures such as the head of a Bison whereas switching to the EM1 MK1 body gave precise AF (haven't sold it yet because the used prices are so low that it is worth keeping as a backup).

Does the latest firmware fix:

1. small object AF 
  2. fuzzy head  

With the huge discount on the G9 with battery grip on Amazon right now, it is hard to resist if the G9 firmware 2 solves these particular AF issues. If we knew that the G10 was imminent then I'd wait but that is a discussion for another thread.

Thanks,
Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow