Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
LeeHicks Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Thank you to the OP for such a detailed and informative post.  I am a hobbyist photographer and day-hiker who clocks 1000+km per year.  Since 2014 I have used a Deuter 30L bag.  At first my DSLR was just tossed inside using my jackets, fleece, or whatever as padding.  At some point I think in 2016 I started using the PD capture clip to carry the camera on my shoulder strap.

I tried switching to a Mindshift Rotation Horizon (34L) for a while last year. I wanted to love it, and at first it seemed to be comfortable, useful, and even included a pocket for my 3L bladder. I did enjoy having the camera off my front side and back in the bag - yet still be relatively quickly accessible.   In the end though it just wasn't as comfortable for ergonomics or ventilation.  I felt I could never get the bag properly sitting on my hips and the weight ended up too low and sitting on my sacrum.  The bag also created quite a hotspot, sweat patch area on my lower back. I even tried using the PD clip with the bag to see if that got the weight distributed more comfortably.   I gave it hundreds of kilometers, trying to make small adjustments trail by trail to get it perfect, but in the end I failed.  I switched back to my Deuter bag with PD clip and have enjoyed the instant increase in comfort ever since.

LeeHicks's gear list:LeeHicks's gear list
Olympus E-PL9 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow