D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,990
D5 Price - Less than $3800 - Reasonable of Buyer Beware!

So, I'm contemplating returning to a full grip (unibody) Nikon DSLR,...and the D4s / D5 bodies are on my list.  I'm basically starting to see a $1k between used D4s and D5 bodies.  So, this is getting interesting.

As a photog that relies a lot on "Wireless Capture",...the D4, D4s, and current D5 seem to have some internal parts of Nikon's 'Wireless Transmitter' hardware built into the bodies,...I mean, given the size of say, a WT-2, WT-4, and WT-7 wireless transmitters, it appears that some of the hardware's circuitry is built within the body and the WT-5 and WT-6 are basically "modules" needed to enable a more robust Wireless transmission experience for the D4/D4s/D5.

That said, it appears the D6's wireless transmitter hardware will definitely mimic that of the D4/D4s/D5 units.  That is, unless the WiFi protocol of the wireless transmitter "module" for the D6 takes on an 802.11ax WiFi protocol which will call for the D6 to require a new Wireless Transmitter module - WT-8.  This would make for crazy fast image transmission from camera to PC when coupled to an 802.11ax Router.  Also, just for reference, my WT-7 on an 802.11ac Router transfers a D500 RAW file in about 6-secs flat,...jpegs are transmitter from about 2-secs to 4.x seconds!  Yeah,...that's FAST!!!

Surprisingly, the WT-5 is only compatiable to the D4/D4s and the WT-6 is only compatiable to the D5,..per Nikon.  So,, this leads me to belief there is a difference in the internal hardware associated with the Wireless Transmitter units of the D4/D4s vs D5.

If Nikon had designed the D6 to have High Speed internal wireless capture without requiring a separate transmitter module,...I'd gladly pay up to the $7,000.00 asking price.

-- hide signature --

JMD
...D850 / D500/  WT-7 x2!
......Nikon forever,...again!!
"...Don't be great at doing something first, Be first at doing something Great!

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D5 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow