Anybody else using the Schneider Retina Tele-Arton on M4/3?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Regular Member • Posts: 190
Anybody else using the Schneider Retina Tele-Arton on M4/3?

I was researching compact 85 mm prime lenses for my M4/3 bodies and found out about this one. It's an odd-looking lens but it can be adapted to M4/3 with no problems. A very nice example of the lens, plus a Yehon adapter, were sourced from eBay for around £50.

I attach a pic of the lens mounted on my GM1 and you can see that the adapter is bigger than the lens. The aperture is controlled on the adapter, because that control ring was on the camera originally (the Retina Reflex S). There is a clever arrangement of sliding depth-of-field markers which are coupled to the aperture.

Lumix GM1 with Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Arton 85 mm f4 on a Yehon adapter.

The front exterior rim of the lens is a female bayonet fitting, B36 size. This is a vintage standard, and used filters are available. I would like a B36 to 43 or 46 mm thread adapter, so a lens hood could be attached, but I have never seen one. Inside the rim, right around the front element, is a 29.5 mm filter thread. I've had no luck spotting 29.5 mm filters either.

Enough of the specs, what about performance. The first pic demonstrates the good subject-to-background separation and the pleasing OOF highlights (the iris is 5-bladed),

Schneider Retina-Tele-Arton at f5.6.

The second pic shows the good colour saturation and all-over sharpness.

Schneider Retina-Tele-Arton at f5.6.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow