Most Importants Lens(es) of the 2010s

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,864
Most Importants Lens(es) of the 2010s

Last month as the decade was winding to a close, DPR conducted an interesting poll to solicit member input on which was the most important camera of the 2010s. I figure, why stop there? Let's share our thoughts on the most important lens or lenses of the 2010s. If DPR were to conduct a poll on this question, which lens or lens series should be included among the candidates?

I'll lead off by sharing my thoughts...given all of 5 minutes of consideration:

• Sigma Art Lenses: Sigma, Tamron and other third party lens manufacturers responded to consumers by delivering comparatively inexpensive primes and zooms that matched or (in a few cases) surpassed the optical quality and performance of equivalent Canon and Nikon optics. Announced during the 2012 Photokina, the 35mm, f/1.4 DG HSM was the first in Sigma's "Art" series of lenses. These optics are representative of the evolution to more automated optical design and manufacturing processes allowing third party manufacturers to deliver quality products at prices consumers can afford.
  • Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 zoom lens: Tamron introduced this lens on November 7, 2013. It was followed 10 months later by the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary and Sports lenses. Together, they ushered in a new era of quality, affordable long telephoto zooms for wildlife and sports enthusiasts.
  • Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF: Five years ago in January 2015, Nikon announced the 300mm f/4 PF. Incorporating a phase Fresnel optic, the lens delivered moderately long reach and quality optical performance in a much smaller, lighter package than was the norm. In June 2018, Nikon added to the PF line when they announced the 500mm f/5.6 PF. If the 2020s are defined by lenses built around exotic optical elements allowing long reach to be delivered in much smaller and lighter than normal packages, the PF line will be remembered as launching a new era of lens design.

I gave this list about 5 minutes of thought so, clearly, there are other lenses or lens series worth bringing to the table. If there is a lens or lens series you believe deserves consideration as having advanced the technology of lens design and performance, the creative options available to photographers or having redefined expectations of what a lens in that segment could or should be, please share it.

Let's have fun with this and keep the conversation, light.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow