Maybe there SHOULD be a monochrome m43s camera!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,408
Maybe there SHOULD be a monochrome m43s camera!

Richard Butler makes a pretty strong case for the Leica mono only camera:

Butler's Article Here

I was pretty impressed with the logic of the article.

I think there might be room for a less expensive camera that is similarly equipped. I should think it wouldn't be TOO difficult to re-engineer an existing camera model for this feature. But I think a higher price of the base monochrome model coupled with a PRO lens could offset any additional engineering costs. The spreadsheet cowboys would have to get involved in that. Especially as to how many cameras would need to be produced and stockpiled.

Would it be a marketing gimmick? And would it be a, one model, and done type thing? Yeah, probably. But I suspect it would bring new people (customers!) into the m43s user population.

Get people used to the ergonomics of either the Oly or Panny lines, and perhaps convert a few more users into mainstream m43s. Generate a little buzz into the system during the slower times in the photo news cycle.

Maybe even do some sort of cross-marketing thing with some software company or third party hardware marketer. You know, maximize the exposure and buzz.

Just an idea, in the end, these types of decisions belong at the manufacturer level.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow