Tethered shooting on a Mac laptop

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,041
Tethered shooting on a Mac laptop

My wife's ancient Mac laptop bit the dust a long while ago.  So we have been using iphones to check the web and email when we are away from home,  At home we use our large desktop PC (oh, the horror :-)).

Because we will soon be away from home for more than a month, yesterday my wife ordered a new Mac laptop on sale so we will again have computer access while traveling.

I have never shot tethered or really had a big interest in doing that.  However, I am soon going to be doing more portrait work and that way of working might come in handy.  (Our yacht club is embarking on a program to add member portraits to their personal information in the club's roster and I've been asked to set up a photo station at the club during upcoming events and shoot them.)

Any guidance on what is needed to shoot tethered with a Nikon D500 and a Mac laptop would be appreciated.  I'm even ignorant of what software I might need (free or inexpensive would be nice) and what kind of cable to connect camera to laptop.  So this needs to be "Shooting Tethered 101".  Haven't even checked if there might be a Youtube video on the topic that someone might lead me to.

Thanks in advance

Doug Haag

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow