DPR: The Most Important Pentax Cameras Of All Time

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Emmanuel Diver Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Re: DPR: The Most Important Pentax Cameras Of All Time

DougOB wrote:

geo444 wrote:

Oiche wrote:

Yeah some good points in there but nothing we didn't know and clickbait for Pentax haters.

The LX is a fine example BUT like a Ferrari it needed expensive servicing and it broke down if you didn't. The MX was much more bulletproof having simpler mechanics and electronics. I restored a free MX an Italian gave me with a 135mm lens, he bodged up the foam seal replacement service (an attempt at camera DIY gone wrong), however I managed to get a fully working MX from it.

Another MX I got was badly corroded from a leaking battery, everything including shutter button ceased from battery acid running out of the camera, again I got this one fully working. Not only does it work but the exposure and everything else is perfect!

Another not to be ignored was the ME SUPER, I have a mint copy of this one and got it professionally CLA'd. Both MX and ME SUPER are just beautiful cameras to use and you can stick your mirrorless EVFs where the sun don't shine when you look through these small FF cameras with a massive OVF. It is a pleasure to stick a K24mm lens on them and just look through them!

The OVF is so big and beautiful it will have you buying film

I had to agree with all that

I used first the MX, then the ME-Super : both bought as used slrs, but 100% reliable.

Then I used a Pentax 6x7 : wow ; its Lenses were way Sharper than Mamiya 6x6's :
https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=919834

Then I used a LX with light measurement on shutter / film : very happy with it,
- light measurement had to be accurate in real time with slides !

I would have choosen Pentax MX and K-5 instead of 110 & K10D not so striking !
- Pentax MX : 55 user-reviews = Most reviewed from Pentax Film SLRs
- Pentax K-5 : 187 user-reviews, Most reviewed Pentax DSLR

I was also thinking that they could/should have picked the K-5 over the K10D but their arguments for picking the K10D are reasonable - it was the archetype of what was to come - weather sealing, IBIS, high quality build, etc. This sort of peaked with the K-5, and then refined with the K-3 (to date - talking APS so putting K-1 aside).

In any case, no list is perfect.

Doug

Surely since the K5 is externally not very far removed from the K7 then the aesthetics peaked with that model.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/mannydee
www.pentaxphotogallery.com/emmanuelmdiver

Emmanuel Diver's gear list:Emmanuel Diver's gear list
Pentax K-7 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow