Tempting "Upgrade"

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,388
Tempting "Upgrade"

I`ve got an R3 I use for commercial work (and been using it for a few leisure pics too !) and a while back picked up a cheap tatty used A6000 as a compact emergency backup that takes the same lenses (albeit with a 1.5X crop but good enough in a fix) .. I sold my RX100 Mk3 because I was then grabbing the A6000 + cherry picked copy of the 16-50PZ (actually damn good at the edges at 16mm F5.6) as it fits in a coat/jacket pocket and the RX100 was simply never getting used since.

I`ve been offered a mint used A6400 for £500 from a camera shop I deal with regularily (not much more than 6300s go for) It`s a tempting upgrade but trying to work out if its worth it .... the AF is the biggie with the 6400 and I`ll find being actually able to use more than the centre point useful as it has a touchscreen for Touchpad operation but I`ll never use the fantastic tracking ability , it`ll be used most of the time with the 16-50 or a small prime unless the R3 croaks on a job - Don`t really care about the low Quality EVF and Screen on the old A6000 and have no use for Wobbly 4K video (the RX10 series do 4K far better IMO)

Question to all the A6000 owners out there is - would you bother or is it just Tempting GAS . the sensor performs with a hair the same in RAW (I shoot RAW exclusively) unless you`re pulling more than 5 stops of shadows (2 or 3 is the normal max in reality) .. the single AF is accurate on the A6000 and the camera is fast handling / focussing with the latest firmware (fater than most Fujis I`ve used and the R2 anyway) .. any tricks I`ve missed sensor wise ? . seems worse than the 6500 here ! but again thats hair splitting by those figures

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6400-versus-Sony-A6500-versus-Sony-A6000___1281_1127_942

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III +1 more
Sony a6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow