One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

Started Jan 19, 2020 | Polls thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,175
Re: One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

holashobby wrote:

I am looking at either the 16-80 and the 18-135 as a possible one lens solution for travel and casual photography. In your opinion, which one of these lenses is preferable for cityscapes, streets and non-critical landscape style shooting? I am minded to go with the 18-135 due to its longer reach and larger aperture at the wide end. However, I wonder how the 16-80 compares? which is your preference as a possible one lens travel solution and why?

Thanks for your comments

I own and enjoy the 18-135. I use it for exactly the types of photography you have described though I also use it for serious landscapes. As pointed out it can get heavy carrying it for a few hours so a good strap or a harness is necessary. It does not have the sharpness of Fuji's top primes yet applying a touch of USM in post takes care of that. I've won two photo contests using the lens in the year i've owned it. Here are the winning photos:

People can argue all day about the technical aspects of these lenses.  I just take pictures and don't worry about that.

I don't believe Fuji makes any bad X mount lenses though some have nicer personalities than others.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow