EOS R - Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) and Mechanical Shutter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,887
EOS R - Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) and Mechanical Shutter

OK. I have had the EOS R now for about a month and finally getting time to dig into it.
I know there is a silent shutter option which I assume is a full electronic shutter (I hope that is right) but is there a mode that is electronic first curtain shutter (EFCS)? I think the Silent LV shoot Mode 1 is that but I am not 100 sure. After all Canon has decided not to use standard, industry terminology?

Also if they do have it over what range of shutter speed does it work well and not result in banding or other less than desirable approach? There is a caution message about distortion with these modes but I can't find any specs on the viable range to use the various shutter model

Also, can I assume that disabling silent mode and silent LV gives me a full mechanical shutter? Again, no real manual shutter mode enable/disable setting.

All help appreciated. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow