Re: One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

Neither is a very good lens. You might be disappointed.

I will be a devil's advocate here: I am inclined to believe you will get better casual travel photos using a bridge camera like Sony RX10 and its variants. Weaker sensor but a much better lens with better reach...

What I am trying to say, is that you can trade sensor shortcomings for lens deficiencies. At least think about it.

Do you have first-hand experience of any of the lenses? I have used the 16-80mm for 2-3 months with very satisfying results.

No, I have no personal experience with the two lenses mentioned above. But there are many negative opinions of them available if you only care to look.

But I do have experience with the Zeiss lens of RX10 and it is stellar! In good light the lens is more important, in poor light it is the sensor that makes the difference.

As I said, at least think about it.

And yet there are other alternatives that don’t involve changing cameras or brands (16-55 for example). I don’t recall any complaints from the OP about the camera and I think your recommendation is unnecessarily extreme.

If you want a one zoom lens solution the rx10s are definitely worth looking at. I think it was a reasonable suggestion.

It might be for some, yet there remain very reasonable solutions to consider without recommending a change of body as well, which strikes me as a lot more expensive, less practical, and more of a last resort solution. It might make more sense if no viable option were available from Fuji, but there is.

Sony might be a reasonable alternative, but I don’t recall the OP suggesting a change of system either. JMHO.

You don’t have to get rid of the fuji gear. A brand new RX10 mk2 is $998 vs the 16-80 at $799.

It’s not simply the cost, but also having to deal with multiple systems. A fine solution for some, and an unwieldy one for others.  If it works for the OP, great. Were it me, I’d much prefer a Fuji solution first before taking on another body.  Strictly my view here.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow