One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

Started Jan 19, 2020 | Polls thread
photoparts New Member • Posts: 14
Re: One lens travel solution: 16-80 vs 18-135

ken224 wrote:

photoparts wrote:

ken224 wrote:

Neither is a very good lens. You might be disappointed.

I will be a devil's advocate here: I am inclined to believe you will get better casual travel photos using a bridge camera like Sony RX10 and its variants. Weaker sensor but a much better lens with better reach...

What I am trying to say, is that you can trade sensor shortcomings for lens deficiencies. At least think about it.

Do you have first-hand experience of any of the lenses? I have used the 16-80mm for 2-3 months with very satisfying results.

No, I have no personal experience with the two lenses mentioned above. But there are many negative opinions of them available if you only care to look.

But I do have experience with the Zeiss lens of RX10 and it is stellar! In good light the lens is more important, in poor light it is the sensor that makes the difference.

As I said, at least think about it.

Reviews from people that actually own and/or have used the lens are quite mixed with both positive and negative comments. And that is how it should be for this kind of 5x “do it all”  zoom lens. It will always have compromises.

photoparts's gear list:photoparts's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow