A7 III - Struggling with Eye-AF

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FlexiPack Forum Member • Posts: 81
A7 III - Struggling with Eye-AF

I've recently upgraded to the A7 III from the A7 II. One of the things I was most looking forward to was the upgrade in AF performance. So far I'm not getting much better than my A7 II. It must be me as all the reviews and everyone's experiences say the A7 III is miles ahead.

I've assigned the AEL to Eye-AF, set my camera to AF-C, aperture to f/4 and tried focusing on someone in a brightly lit room (tried with Wide and Zone. The camera really struggled to find the face or eye. If I moved to within a metre it picked it up but as soon as i moved further back it lost it again and reverted to standard wide focusing. I've read people saying how it's able to pick up the eye in darkened enviroments, backlit etc but I'm struggling in a normal enviroment. As I say, it must be something I'm not getting right, but I'm not sure what. If I point my camera to a bunch of faces on the computer screen the hit rate is much quicker and higher. But that's not a real world scenario.

For reference I'm using a Tamron 28-75mm and both the camera and lens are on their latest firmware.

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the subject detection is set to Human, not Animal.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 II Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow