Focus stacking query - any experts out there?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Focus stacking query - any experts out there?

I'm trying to photograph objects measuring up to about 40cm square and need to get front to back sharpness if at all possible.

Focus stacking seems to be the obvious path to take but even when the ‘steps’ are at the maximum setting of 10 I can only get a total distance of roughly 9.5cm in focus.

This is when using a 35mm lens at a distance of ca 60cm and apertures of both f1.4 and f16. I had similar results with the 16mm lens. It seems that at the ‘step’ setting of 10 (the maximum value) under these conditions each step corresponds to a focus shift of very roughly 1 cm.

Now I had set the camera to take 10 shots for the above so the obvious thing to try was to increase the number of photos but the total distance in focus remained the same.

Clearly, I need some help in understanding the focus stacking on the X-H1! Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Could it be that I’ve come up against a limitation of the system?

Many thanks

Phil

Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow