Should I get a 35mm prime?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bokemon Regular Member • Posts: 266
Should I get a 35mm prime?

Hello folks,

Yes, I know that "in the end, it is something I have to decide for myself", but I'm looking for advice as to whether I should get a 35mm prime lens.  I would probably get the Tamron 35mm F1.4, the main reason being to own "The best 35mm lens ever" (as tested by LensRentals).  The main thing I am worried about is that I will just use it a few times and then it will gather dust.  The way I approach photography is:

I like to do walk-around sessions and I don't like changing lenses.  So for example, I am currently using the Tamron 35-150mm on my Nikon Z6 as my "outdoor walk-around lens".  Overall I am pretty happy with it.

For "indoor walk-around and architecture" I use my Tamron 17-35mm or 24-70mm kit lens.

I use my Sigma 100-400mm + TC to go to the shoreline and take bird pics.

I use my 105mm macro for walk-around pictures of flowers.

Well, the point is that I can take just one lens out on a trip.  Now for the 35mm prime, I am not so sure I can do that.  I'm trying to figure out what I would use a 35mm prime for:

Take night pictures of buildings and rich people's houses.  (The ones that like to wealth project by having a big open window to their living room / kitchen / study, etc)

Some picture of a foreground object and blow out the background with that big F1.4 aperture.  (Haha, that's cute, but maybe it gets old after a while)

The occasional (landscape) astrophotography, but probably not that often.

Any other uses for that BIG aperture?  (I like to take pictures of scenes, but not people)

bokemon's gear list:bokemon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +13 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow