Lowest shutter speed but no motion blur

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,272
Re: Lowest shutter speed but no motion blur

DigitalFFUser wrote:

How to determine the lowest shutter speed that doesn't cause motion blur? In other words most optimal shutter speed for a given situation. One can use a very high shutter speed but that will limit the amount of light.

There is no simple answer to this question. It depends on several factors such as the magnification, focal length you are using, how fast your subject is moving or not moving, etc. A high-pixel-density body such as a Z7 is going to be less forgiving than a 12MP DSLR such as the D3 and D700.

For birds in flight, I frequently use my 500mm PF lens, and I would use at least 1/1250 sec, but 1/2000 sec is better. The wings of a hummingbird probably cannot be frozen by shutter speed alone. Instead we use flashes.

On the other hand, if you are taking pictures of a group standing still, maybe you can get away with 1/60 sec or even 1/30 sec, but if there are little kids, those shutter speeds could be too slow.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow