Will Canon release a 500mm DO or 500mm III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
T Nels Regular Member • Posts: 208
Will Canon release a 500mm DO or 500mm III

Over the past few years I have developed a greater and greater interest in bird photography.  My primary lens for this has been the Canon 100-400 Ii.  I use it mostly on my 80D for greater “reach”.  Sometimes I shoot with the 5D IV too.   I find the lens works ok with the 1.4x II, but it seems that cropping heavily yields similar results.   The 100-400 II can yield tack sharp results with good light and a high enough shutter speed.

Light many bird photographers I want more reach.  The current zoom is apparently really around 383mm at full zoom.  I have considered the 400 DO II for slightly more reach and the larger aperture.  It is reportedly light enough to be handheld for extended periods and supposedly takes the 1.4x III well.   But it doesn’t seem to make sense to buy a lens that I would want to use the extender with regularity.

While trying to save for a new lens, I continue wondering if Canon will release a 500 DO.   There had been reports of one in the works.  The other option is the 500mm f4 II.  Of course that lens is even more expensive and much less portable.  Finally, will they release a 500 III?   All of these lenses are a stretch to save for and I certainly want to make the most sensible decision.

Thoughts by other “birders” or others would be appreciated.  Thank you.

T Nels's gear list:T Nels's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow