Shooting the E-M5 III in New Zealand

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Daiken Regular Member • Posts: 410
Shooting the E-M5 III in New Zealand

I needed a break from the Canadian cold, so I took a trip through New Zealand in December and decided to grab the new E-M5 III before my trip. Ugrading from a E-M10 (firste gen), I had a few new features to play with. To be honest, most of my shooting stayed about the same. The only differences were:

• I actually took some 4k videos (much better than my E-M10). Files are huge.
  • Relied more on stabilization for low light shots, but getting those 1/2s or longer sharp exposures is still extremely rare I find.
  • Took a couple of high-res photos but usually wasn't worth it cause of wind
  • I used my 20mm a lot less due to the camera not focusing properly before firing even with Release priority set to off (other lenses seem to be fine).
  • USB charging is amazingly convenient (just wish it was USB-C). Didn't use the standalone charger at all.

Overall the E-M5 worked well. Having processed my images now I have to be honest the image quality improvement isn't significant, even after 5 years of waiting. The extra megapixels definitely are welcome for cropping though. Battery life was about the same. Didn't need a grip like I did for the E-M10, but I would like something bigger for the front side fingers.

I had played with the camera before my trip so I had figured most things out. The only surprise that I had was with some of the astrophotography I was doing. I noticed a lot more high ISO banding noise than I'm use to with the 16 mp sensors. Most of my best shots were at ISO 800, and I could still play with the raw files and exposure at that setting. Setting ISO higher, 1600, 2000, 4000 all produced visible horizontal banding noise when I increased the exposure about 1 ev. I get the feeling this is due to the phase detect sensors, but yeah I was a little surprised. The higher ISOs should be fine if you nail the exposure on the camera and aren't increasing it in post.

And now some pictures!

Olympus E-M5 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow