Favorite cameras for adapted lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
moedius
moedius Contributing Member • Posts: 542
Re: Favorite cameras for adapted lenses

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I like the GM5 because a few of them each with a lens are so compact and easily carried. I can play “pretend-pro” with multiple cameras that works just the same and do not require lens changes in the field. But one camera with multiple lenses is a paradigm that dies hard. Multiple different camera bodies is harder as they are (must be) larger and also it they are not just the same set up and control interface it does make it (slightly) harder to swap cameras in the field. The GM5 is ideal for that but its launch price made it an expensive route to follow. Once I decided that the GM5 x multiples was the way to go I made the most of price discounts to build up my “fleet”.

I always want to bring everything with me on an outing, I'm sure it's a common dilemma and I assume it's how the caricature of the photographer with multiple cameras and lenses and bags hanging off everywhere came about.  It's not ideal to be moving back and forth between systems and mounts, but I've started to get used to it.  I was already doing it in a limited manner with regards to the a77ii and all the a-mount lenses to go with it.  But carrying the a77ii and the a7ii is a hefty chunk of cameras!  It's much more manageable to take the a7ii and the GF7.

A Panasonic Noticron 42.5/1.2 is a powerful combination on a GM5. I have also used their relatively huge 200/2.8 with 2x extender on a GM5 body - unbalanced? Hardly - it is just another largish lens supported by the left hand - but it does make the GM5 a serious camera well beyond the point’n’shoot category that it usually is labelled as.

I frequently used the NEX5R on longer tele lenses without any major issue, even without the EVF, which is why I'd expected to not have to much problem with the Panasonic but it feels much harder to handle.  I do think its less size and more that the front and back are pretty much flush.  There's no place for my thumb to get a firm grip.  I ordered a stick-on 'grip' attachment from China, and I'm hoping that will give my fingers a little more purchase though that's on the front.  I couldn't find anything that would fit on the back as a thumbrest\grip.

I follow my own drumbeat and it does no always follow fashion or the common-sense inclinations of others

I can't find fault with that, I've been called contrary my whole life.  But it's just that IMO the strange, the uncommon, and the underestimated are always going to be more interesting.

The GX7 was and is an amazing camera. Panasonic seem to have thrown everything they knew at this camera when it was first released. Even though I later bought a GX85 and GX9 I sill revere my GX7 and don’t treat it as backup only.

If you could only choose between the GX7 and the GX85, which would you want to keep?  I'm tilting more towards picking up the GX85 at this point, for the newer features that may be liked by the rest of the family, but there's still an appeal to the GX7.  I tried going into the shop I thought most likely to have the used bodies I wanted to handle in stock, but they seemed to be picked clean after the holidays.  The GX1 was the only older Panasonic they had in stock and it just doesn't fit the requirements, other than it being very affordable.

The GM5 was so obviously the GX7 made small by leaving out all non-essential user conveniences. A basic camera in the raw but a full function camera for serious users no less.

I am ambivalent about the tilt evf - tends to snag when coming out of the bag. The best thing I found out about the tilt evf is it is a handy location in which to hide the dioptre control.

I've heard that complaint quite a bit about the EVF snagging and pulling.  I usually keep each camera in its own snug neoprene holster within the larger bag so that might save it from catching.

I am tall also but have never used the tilt evf for practical purposes. On tripod or for low level I find that tilting the lcd works better for me.

That's usually how I use it, but at least in my experience so far an EVF is far easier to keep moving targets in frame with, so I was hoping that it would be helpful with say, birds or wildlife, if I've parked it in a spot in the woods.

None of the Panasonic cameras allows the thumb dab trick without the eye on the evf - must be associated with the eye-switch. It will not even do it with evf-equipped cameras when the evf is not engaged. It is not going to work on a GF7. Its purpose is to magnify the evf.

Good to know, I'll have to wait until I've swapped it for another body.

iAuto is what Panasonic use to provide simplified control on all their cameras - actually “A mode” is really not that complicated either and does not shut out parts of the interface. I have not tried iAuto myself but I have a son with a GX7 who said that he was only interested in “Auto” and seems to take good images that way.

This is what I set when handing the camera off to the wife or kid, or someone else unfamiliar with it.  It does do OK, but I think it's mainly the lack of customizable buttons that trips me up.  I'm sure there are other features buried that just aren't there on this camera, like the EVF magnification trick you mention above.

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

moedius's gear list:moedius's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony 50mm F1.4 +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow