IPad 7 (2019) Quick Review

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pacnwhobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 757
IPad 7 (2019) Quick Review

I upgraded to this from the ipad6 over the Holidays when the ipad 7 was on sale. I have the 128GB wifi only version and gave my ipad 6 to a family member who needed just something basic for email and internet access.

Despite using having similar hardware specs to its predecessor, I find this tablet works smoother with ipad OS than the 6 did. It’s not an overly powerful device but compared to the 6 it runs things like google street view a lot more smoothly as well as other graphics-heavy applications and games. It’s also better at multi-tasking thanks to the bump from 2 to 3gb of ram.

The screen is excellent, resolution wise it’s the same spec-wise as its predecessor but overall it’s bright and crisp and most things look great on it. I also appreciate the extra real estate over the 6.

The 6 had great battery and the 7 has somewhat better battery life but it’s not a dramatic improvement, but still overall excellent.

One of the other new features is port to use Apple’s keyboard case. Despite this, I am using the Logitech keyboard case (bluetooth) and it works great. I had the same case for the 6 (the two are not interchangeable because the ipad 7 is slightly bigger) and I find it doesn’t need to “wake up” most times before being used like on the 6.

The front and back cameras are still the same so that is kind of a letdown but I don’t really use them all that often so it’s not a deal-breaker for me. It would also be nice if they offered support for the second gen Apple Pencil on this model but the first gen is still widely available and works well, so that is okay with me.

Overall, I’m really pleased with this ipad. If you can find it on sale, it might be worth upgrading from the 6 if you feel you could benefit from the extra RAM and overall performance bump. If you are starting out, there is no reason you should try and seek out the older 6 or earlier, especially if they run a sale on this tablet. I would not bother with the 32gb version because it will fill up fast, spend the extra money and get the 128gb version.

pacnwhobbyist's score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow