Pentax 645Z vs Fuji GFX 50 ???

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Genes Pentax Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
Pentax 645Z vs Fuji GFX 50 ???

Query to those of you who actually have used both 645Z and GFX 50S/R.  How do they compare?  What are the pros & cons from your perspective?  What do you miss or not miss about the one you used to use (I'm assuming that most people switched from 645Z to GFX 50).

Been itching for a MF camera for sometime as my 2nd and slower system.  So, been looking at 645Z and GFX 50S and 50R.  Prices seem to be about the same.  (Though GFX 50S still costs about $1,000 more, in the the grand scheme of things, it's probably not that much ... relatively speaking.)

Considering 2 ~ 3 lenses for each system.  Fuji 23mm, 50mm, and 110mm.  Pentax HD D FA 35mm, D FA 55mm, and HD D FA 90mm.

Planned usage:  Studio, landscape, and (hopefully) some travel.  Thinking about taking it along with my Panasonic G9 system.

Here are some things I've noticed:

1.  645Z is much heavier and slightly bigger.  (Slightly bigger than GFX 50S.)

2.  But the lenses are about the same in size and weight.  Actually, Pentax lenses seem to be slightly lighter, so the overall system weight may not be that much different, even though Pentax system would still weigh more.

3.  I get the feeling that the 645Z is a more rugged system.

4.  Also, looking at the various reviews, the 645Z file is slightly/marginally cleaner.

5.  But I did notice that the GFX files are significantly larger (in the ball park of 110MB vs 70MB).  Not sure why.

6.  Also, when I looked at the RAW files on the DPR's review articles, it seems that the GFX files were a bit sharpened.  When I sharpened the Pentax file, it looked much closer to GFX file.

7.  From the various reviews, I get the sense that the Fuji lenses are of higher quality.

8.  Electronic VF vs OVF is a big difference, but I can live with either.

9.  Battery life is much better on the 645Z (understandably).

From those that have actually used them and switched the system, what do you prefer and why?  What do you miss?

Thank you.

Gene

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Pentax 645Z
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tex
rbf
rbf
tex
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow