M6 II and older glass, i.s. doesn't turn off.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 6,081
Re: Standard behavior

Sittatunga wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Sittatunga wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

1. R2D2 wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

I'm glad to hear that's it's not a flaw, just a poor design.

LOL, others may call it a feature (stabilizing the image view). Perhaps the poor design is in the older (noticeably noisy) IS mechanisms of the older lenses?

R2

I look at it as a way for Canon to make money.

The older lenses are just that, old. If you make newer cameras that will somehow affect these older lenses to perhaps, breakdown, then say that the lens is 10 years years old and can't be repaired, what does the camera owner do? They buy new glass.

I've never had an IS lens break down. Or heard of them breaking down in droves when used on mirrorless.

I have. Once. My original 24-105 L, the IS unit failed as well as the ribbon cable. As I wasn't using an M at the time, it wasn't anything to do with that.

To be honest, I just don't understand the problem. I find it positively beneficial to have the viewfinder image stabilised.

How is it useful to have stabilization running when no one is even looking at the camera?

About as useful as having the camera switched on when no one is even looking at it.

Try shooting sports. Your camera is up and down depending on the action. You also don't want to keep turning your camera on and off nor do you want it entering sleep mode.

Which sports do you need stabilised lenses for? If you're using very long lenses it's a good idea to have the stabilisation running all the time so the you can see what's happening through the EVF. The frame rate of most EVFs makes things quite unpleasant for me if the view is jerking about. I'd rather have continuous stabilisation than to wait for it to spin up. There again, a DSLR is probably still a better bet for sport.

What happens if Canon finally introduces IBIS. Do you want that running all the time too?

Can you suggest a realistic way for IBIS not to run the whole time and still be able to take pictures instantly? Since IBIS relies on suspending the sensor on electric motors controlled by gyroscopes, the gyros would have to keep running anyway or be powerful enough to start up and stabilise almost instantly.

Do you think cameras with IBIS have spinning gyros in the body?  No wonder you don't get it.  Neither cameras nor lenses use spinning gyros for stabilization.  They all use a MEMS device.  Think of a small weight suspended on three springs where the deflection of that weight is measure in all 3 directions.  The things are tiny and don't need to "wake up".  You just read the signal from the device just like any other electrical sensor.

The sensor would also have to have a parking system which unlocked instantly. On the whole, I would prefer IBIS to run the full time it was switched on, for convenience and improved reliability. I would definitely need a convenient, easy, manual way to tell the IBIS system what the focal length of the lens is, as I have half-a-dozen native and adapted lenses without electrical contacts. And one of them is a zoom.

Go try a Panasonic camera with IBIS and any dual IS capable lens.  Both IBIS and OIS turn on with a half press of the shutter and then timeout a few seconds later.  The behavior is identical to shooting with an IS lens on a DSLR and it works great.

Unless the camera is actively focusing, there is zero reason for the IS to be running.  It makes absolutely no sense to stabilize an out of focus image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow