Panasonic GH5s great compliment for photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeeter001 Regular Member • Posts: 116
Panasonic GH5s great compliment for photography?

I'm invested in M43 and would like to get better low light capability for super zoom, long zoom and long telephoto, at shutter speeds around 1/200-1/400 (think pictures of musicians/performers/moving subjects taken from the stands in stadium at evening or indoor).

The low-light optimized Panasonic GH5s is touted as a great video camera but a poor choice for photography due to lack of IBIS and 10MP sensor. I think that's an over generalization and it would make a poor choice ONLY if it was your only body and you got it for photography and not video. For low light I can't make use of IBIS anyway due to shutter speed requirements and also have two IBIS M43 bodies and a number of Pan OS lenses should I need stabilization.

It seems like the GH5s compliments a photography M43 kit really well, delivering where "regular" (not low-light optimized) M43 setups are weakest. It seems enticing that if you already have an M43 body and a good selection of lenses, buying the GH5S magically opens up a swath of lenses already in your camera bag for use in lower light scenarios (and most conveniently - zoom lenses!) where they would not be usable before. Is there any flaw in this line of thinking?  (before I spend money :-D)

On my G85 I would love to use my Panasonic 100-300 ii (F4-5.6) instead of the adapted manual Canon FD 200mm F2.8 I now use for these lower light events. Two more stops of usable ISO are needed to use the 100-300. In my scenario that's setting ISO in the 6400-12800 range and still getting decent pictures. Would the GH5s deliver that?  Based on specs it seems like it would but specs of course can be, ya know, optimistic... Is there anything else to this I'm not considering?

Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow