M6 II and older glass, i.s. doesn't turn off.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 1,919
Re: Standard behavior

dave vichich wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

1. R2D2 wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

dave vichich wrote:

I'm glad to hear that's it's not a flaw, just a poor design.

LOL, others may call it a feature (stabilizing the image view). Perhaps the poor design is in the older (noticeably noisy) IS mechanisms of the older lenses?

R2

I look at it as a way for Canon to make money.

The older lenses are just that, old. If you make newer cameras that will somehow affect these older lenses to perhaps, breakdown, then say that the lens is 10 years years old and can't be repaired, what does the camera owner do? They buy new glass.

I've never had an IS lens break down. Or heard of them breaking down in droves when used on mirrorless.

I have. Once. My original 24-105 L, the IS unit failed as well as the ribbon cable. As I wasn't using an M at the time, it wasn't anything to do with that.

To be honest, I just don't understand the problem. I find it positively beneficial to have the viewfinder image stabilised.

How is it useful to have stabilization running when no one is even looking at the camera?

Well that's a massive non-sequitur. Who leaves their camera on if they're not even looking at it?

There can't be all that many M users who haven't got into the habit of turning thr camera off between shots, either to conserve battery life - especially with IS running, to be fair - or to prevent "stomach shooting" or involuntary settings changing when carrying the camera via unintended touch.

Maybe people that venture outside when its -20 and find it hard to operate the on/off switch with gloves on? Although I haven't been out with the "M" camera in these kind of temps, at some point I will be.

That's a long way outside the design parameters of the cameras - the M6 II's minimum operating temperature is officially 0°. I was using mine this week below  freezing in Vilnius, and had no problems with the switch with my thin gloves. This time last year, I used the original M6 in Riga down to -11°, which meant 2 pairs of gloves, and I had no issues with the power switch, shutter button or adjusting aperture (in Av mode). Couldn't do much else with the gloves on. Certainly a lot easier than the power buttons on the original M or M3.

If I had to put my mittens on, I suspect the power switch would be the only control I could use, but then I've always had to take one off to use any camera.

But when shooting at low temperatures,  especially outside the design parameters of the camera, it's even more important to keep the camera switched off when not in use, or you'll have no battery life at all.

Should I even think about wearing down the battery needlessly. In warmer climates that may not matter. In the great white north, it kind of does. Good thing I bought 4 extra batteries when I got this camera.

I've had my M5 out in -10 F weather too. You just adapt and keep taking pictures.

I.S. lenses have been around for what ... 30 years. Why does this function need to stay on now? I'm pretty sure there could be a switch added into the firmware that would give the end user the option as to how they would like it to function.

Sure they could. They haven't so far.

Ok, my little rate is over.

You adjust to using the tool that's in your hands (or you die). Give it some time, you'll be OK.

R2

-- hide signature --

davev
Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davev

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow