Z7 with 300mm pf / tc14

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,030
Re: 300mm PF - TCs links

DaveR43 wrote:

Montanawildlives wrote:

DaveR43 wrote:

I agree the TC seems to resolve finer detail for several sets of closely spaced vertical lines in the images. Look at the top right hand corner of each image. The TC image clearly shows a number of vertical lines, which are just mush in the corresponding place for the scaled up shot taken without the teleconverter.

The same applies on the left of each image - within the semi-circular shape, the TC image shows vertical lines which are again mush on the scaled-up version.

Agreed, those vertical lines are substantially sharper. Do you also see the second point I was making, that there still seems to be something more blurry in the teleconverter image?

Any thoughts on that?

If the upscaling process is required to get rid of that then that's almost a non-starter because I'm definitely not going to do that (multi-stage sharpening, noise reduction, upscaling, sharpening, noise reduction, upscaling, Etc.) with every image I ever take with a teleconverter.

I was thinking that maybe the TC version would benefit from a little sharpening. That might then even things up, without being a lot of effort.

Fair enough, but then I suppose I should also sharpen the non teleconverter image since the purpose is to compare them on some sort of equal footing.

I'm a simpleton to be sure, but I haven't really wrapped my mind around the clearly superior sharpness of the teleconverter image with the fact that it is also more blurry!

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow