GIMP + darktable

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
grsnovi
grsnovi Contributing Member • Posts: 513
GIMP + darktable

I've used a version of Paint Shop Pro since it was pre-BETA v1.0 from JASC. The "current" version I'm using is v5.1 (build dated 1998) and I've used it daily since then. Somewhere along the line I purchased v7 but didn't like it (they had added vector graphics) and I reverted to v5.1.

My recent encounter with digital photography stems from 2013 or so and initially editing photos from JPG was limited to cropping and adjusting color, brightness, contrast, etc... which my version of PSP did (and I'm certainly familiar with it).

The problem is that saving in v5.1 destroys EXIF data.

I've been on the fence with upgrading. I have the full Adobe CC suite at work where I rarely use PhotoShop but I certainly "get" the fact that PS is the standard as far as an editing environment for professionals. I also have a copy of PS Elements at home but I don't use it as a primary editor and probably won't use going forward since it is apparent restricted to low-bit color representation.

Anyway, I decided to load GIMP and see just how convoluted the interface really is. It isn't too bad. But upon trying to open a RAW file, it whined and said I needed darktable or RawTheraPee, so I loaded darktable.

It looks like this could be what I transition to.

What do I need to watch out for? Limitations? Issues?

Thanks!

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic LX100 Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +10 more
Casio Exilim EX-V7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow