Thoughts after 2 days with the new Z50

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tsinvest Senior Member • Posts: 1,214
Thoughts after 2 days with the new Z50

Thought I would share my initial impressions with the new Z50.  Currently I shoot with the D7500 and P900.  I wanted to see what mirrorless was all about and decided to order the new Z50 under the "Yellow Program".

Day one it was overcast and rainy nevertheless I charged the battery and got going with this new little camera.  My initial impression was a bit muted.  I had a real issue with using an electronic view finder after using an optical viewfinder for over 30 years.  Getting a blackout after each shot was not great...until I determined that all I needed to do to solve this issue was to shut off the image preview...now no blackout.  Since it was overcast the photos were kind of blah.  Also the auto ISO was resulting in very high values which resulted in a lot of noise.  So after day one I thought not so great might even send it back if this is all there is.

Now day two.  Sunny beautiful morning and out I go with the Z50.  Before going out however I watched a few YouTube videos regarding tips on setting up the Z50 - made some changes to the settings.  Snapped a few photos and now I was getting Wowed, much better than day one.  After shooting about 100 photos with both lenses I must day I was very happy with the results.  And, the best part was the size and weight was so much easier to handle than taking my D7500 out.  I had the Z50 around my neck with the extra lens (I got the two lens kit) in my jacket pocket.  Very light and small enough to easily carry around.

So, this is day three and I must say the Z50 has a very good chance of being a keeper.  Very cool little camera.

Here are a few shots from yesterday.

Like to hear from others with their thoughts on the Z50.

Tom

Check out my Instagram page "photos_all_kinds"

-- hide signature --

My best, Tom

tsinvest's gear list:tsinvest's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +15 more
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow