15-45mm Back Focusing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
M19 Regular Member • Posts: 285
15-45mm Back Focusing

Ok I got a sweet deal for an M6 II which came bundled with the 15-45mm and an EVF. While I consider the 15-45mm is practically just a free add-on in the bundle, I got curious on how it really performed because it's so light that I feel that I might just use it on certain occasions.

After some testing though, I noticed that the 15-45mm is back focusing between 24mm to 35mm. Has anyone tried this on their end?

Some information on how I did the shoot:

All shots were taken @ f/8, ISO100, Av mode.

@15mm, I compared against the 11-22mm

@18,24,35,45mm, I compared against the 18-150mm

@32mm, I compared against the 32mm 1.4

The subject is kept at a constant distance from the camera (roughly 13 - 15" away) [might probably affect the result]

I also tried shooting a subject 3-4 ft away @ 28mm and 45mm on the 15-45mm, and I noticed there's no back focus. Then again @f/8, at those distances, the depth-of-field is great enough that you'll be pretty hard pressed to notice.

Other things no longer related at my original topic but came as a result from my tests:

The 32mm 1.4 seems to have a poor transmission speed at f/8. My images has to be shot at 2.5" in order to be properly exposed, but only needed 2" when using either the 15-45mm or the 18-150mm.

The 11-22mm seems to have a good transmission speed at f/8. @15mm, it only needed 1.3" to properly expose the image while the 15-45mm needed 2".

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow