Z7 with 300mm pf / tc14

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
dspoel
dspoel Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Z7 with 300mm pf / tc14

lokatz wrote:

dspoel wrote:

The TC will obviously give some image degradation in return for more reach. I often use it with DX mode. I would say that it is better to use the TC than to crop since in particular with small birds it may be difficult to come close enough.

Sorry, err, what? Whether you crop and then upscale by 1.4x, or use a TC 14, means the exact thing as far as the distance from the bird is concerned. The real question here is whether one yields better results than the other.

The difference is between optical zooming with some image degradation due to extra lenses or digital zooming which reduces the number of pixels. Printed on the same size paper either the one or the other may give you a better image. It could well be that the results are very similar as your tests suggest, my point was that at long distance there may not be a lot of pixels to scale. For small birds I often have less than 1000x1000 pixels left even at 420 mm, my gut feeling is that this will give me a better image than upscaling 700x700 pixels to the same size.

Back when I still had a (mediocre) copy of the 300 PF, I tested this under controlled conditions with the TC14 and TC20, both in their newest incarnations: I shot with TC, then without it, then carefully up-scaled the non-TC shots in Photoshop, the way you're supposed to do it (sharpen, upscale by about 25%, reduce noise, then repeat the process until you're done).

Just a few days ago, I did the same thing with my new Z7 and the 500 PF plus TC14.

The results were pretty clear across all of these tests: there was almost no perceptible difference between the two, which confirms what z2122 already said earlier in this thread. If anything, the shots with TC were SLIGHTLY worse than the up-scaled ones, though not to any relevant degree.

As you say, TCs mean some image degradation. They are a convenience factor, though: where with a TC you get a right-sized image right away, up-scaling as described above is a cumbersome and time consuming process. Just don't expect shooting with a TC to produce better results than the alternative does.

-- hide signature --

David.

dspoel's gear list:dspoel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow