Macro-tripod; flexible centre-column or not?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeKiwi Regular Member • Posts: 170
Macro-tripod; flexible centre-column or not?

I'm looking for a new tripod, more suitable for macro-use. I want to get low to the ground and to be as flexible as possible.
Camera is a Panasonic G80 with Oly 60mm macro, so not the heaviest kit.

I stumbled upon the options with a centre-column which can be removed and placed horizontally. See image below. I've seen that Benro and Vanguard sell these tripods (and Manfrotto as well, but that one is a little more limited as the center column can only be be placed either horizontally or vertically, nothing inbetween).

I'm looking for any experiences with this sysem helping me to decide whether or not this is a good solution for macro-work. So, does anybody use this and if so, would you buy it again? Do you perhaps know of other brands/types? Budget is around $/€ 250. I already have a ballhead available.

I would then add a L-bracket to the camera so it can be mounted sideways and be very low to the ground.

Alternative would be a smaller macro-tripod without centre-column.

My current tripods have the option to reverse the centre-column and hang my camera upside down. I'm not liking this. For me it is a pain to use and though the screen of the camera can be placed so I can view it without laying flat, it's workin counter-intuitive.

Or are there more options I could investigate?

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow