Sony 100-400 GM Lens Reliability

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Triebe Contributing Member • Posts: 790
Sony 100-400 GM Lens Reliability

I bought a new Sony 100-400 GM lens from B&H in July 2017.  I love the lens for it's sharpness and speed of focus. While at Sony's Kando 2.0 in May 2018 the lens failed. It just would not connect electronically with my cameras. The Sony techs at Kando tried "on the site" repair but determined that was impossible so they sent it back to Sony for repair. The lens was repaired and returned to me. There was no charge as the lens was still under warranty.

A day ago, I was using the lens and suddenly it stopped working exhibiting the same symptoms as before (over exposed rear LCD, dim electronic viewfinder and inability to see the SD card). I contacted Sony support, explained the history of the lens and the prior repair, and pointed out the lens had not been abused (my 100-400 is a lens that is not used frequently). Sony's response is "the lens is no longer under warranty" and referred me to Precision Camera for repair.

I've yet to get an estimate of the cost to repair the lens but it would appear it will be in excess of $500. I'm amazed how this GM lens has failed twice in under a two year time frame, and Sony's refusal to acknowledge they bear any responsibility in this matter. I would expect that when one pays $2500 for a premiere piece of equipment, they might expect better longevity, and better service from the manufacturer. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed in Sony at this point. I've owned more that 25 Sony lenses, and 10 Sony bodies and never had a failure except for this incident.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 +36 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow