Z7 with 300mm pf / tc14

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Re: Z7 with 300mm pf / tc14

z2122 wrote:

I have a Z6 and the 300pf. So I ordered a TC 1.4 III , tested it and send it back. Cropping and upscaling (in LR) brought nearly the same result - the difference to the image with TC was hardly noticeable, so I returned the TC.

My similar conclusion with the d500 was based on simply transferring the two files to photoshop and viewing the shot with the teleconverter at 50% and the shot without the teleconverter at 70%. The difference is fairly minimal but honestly I would say more of the time the shot without the teleconverter is sharper. I don't even know if that's valid or as good as upscaling and cropping as you have done.

Part of it may be that I'm not shooting at the same iso, in the real world the shot with a teleconverter would have one stop penalty and so that's what I give it in terms of ISO. Maybe in lab tests where everything is done at base ISO the teleconverter would perform better.

I always think the teleconverter images are going to be great based on how they look in the camera but then when I really dig into the details they just don't seem to be there.  I kind of thought I was just asking for too much on a crop sensor.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow