Z-MOUNT LENSES (Not only better optically, but also physically)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Koerner
John Koerner Regular Member • Posts: 369
Z-MOUNT LENSES (Not only better optically, but also physically)

It looks like Lens Rentals performed a complete tear down on the Nikkor Z 24-70 f/2.8 S, and not only has it surpassed every other 24-70 lens in its performance, but apparently the internal build quality is better also.

Cicala notes these lenses are completely re-engineered, in almost every way superior in design to the aged F-mount glass.

So, while some mumble and grumble about the price of the news Z-glass, it appears every single iteration not only has become an"Editors Choice Award" winner, pretty much across the board, in performance—but it now looks as if their entire construction and internal integration is a cut above the rest, also.

Hmm .. I intended to keep most of my F-mount glass, but it looks like I'll be getting rid of more than I bargained for, replacing most of what I have with Z-mount alternatives, as they materialize.

The first to go will be the 58 f/1.4G, which will be getting ditched for the upcoming Z 50 f/1.2 S. I already have the Z 24-70 f/2.8 S, which is my go-to lens for field investigation work. For sure I will complete the Z 14-24 f/2.8 S and the Z 70-200 f/2.8 S trilogy. This will enable me to dump a lot of primes, so the actual cost will ultimately be negligible, as I sell-off older glass, while lightening the overall load to boot.

These new Nikkor Z professional f/2.8 S zooms actually outperform the latest F-Mount primes in most capacities. It's nice to know they are built better, and completely re-engineered to boot.

Can't wait to see what Nikon's best Z-mount f/1.2 primes will do

John Koerner's gear list:John Koerner's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow